I can't believe December is over already....
A lot has happened for me in the last 31 days...allow me to recap...
1. At the very last minute, my family decided to take a vacation. Yup, we like to do these things by the seat of our pants. Now that we’re a family of adults, we have found that what we really want is a chance to rest from our busy schedules. We all love to travel but because of our work, the only time we can get away is around Christmas. This is the third year in a row that we've chucked trees, decorations and cookies in favor of the open road. Last week, we jumped in the car and tootled away, feeling deliciously naughty at being able to fly in the face of the typical Christmas traditions.
There is something delightful about strolling down a street in full vacation mode while watching the rest of the populace frantically prepare for Xmas; its as if you've discovered a wonderful secret they know nothing about. This must be how master criminals feel when they pull off the perfect crime.
2. Celebrated Christmas Day on December 17th, yet another good reason to go on vacation during Christmas break...you get to open all your presents early! I didn't have to wait as long as the rest of you! Muahwaaha!
Being a new blogger I have no idea if it's tacky and infantile to say what you got for Christmas; I'll take a chance and mention just one gift...because it is so wonderfully bookish. and I'm going to talk more about books in a minute.
3. After my recent scare in discovering that my local libraries are getting ride of their books, I went on a book buying binge and bought $130 dollars worth of used books. Could I really afford that kind of crazed impulse shopping? Absolutely not....but it had to be done! There were books out there that were counting on me to save them!
I loooove books! I want to roll in books the way I would roll in snow, I want to swim in a swimming pool piled with books. I want to sleep in a nest made of books. Ahem....I'd better stop before I lose all control.
4. As a Christmas gift to myself, I ordered an original watercolor painting and handmade cards from my good friend, Sarah Grace. Amazingly, the package arrived on December 17th (Christmas Day Observed for my family). I felt like I was getting an Xmas gift from my friend! I just hugged it and smiled!
I was impressed with the lovely attention to detail with the packaging and wrapping and very touched by Sarah Grace's personalized message.
See how pretty they are? I can't wait to hang the watercolor in my sewing area. I'm going to frame one of the note cards as well. The other two note cards I am going to save for a Mother's Day gift for my Mom...who also admires Sarah Grace's work.
You can check out Sarah Grace's lovely Etsy Store here.
5. After nearly two years of waiting, I finally got to read the spoilers for Star Wars Rogue One to determine whether or not I wanted to watch it.
My reaction to reading the ending for Star Wars Rogue One.
And....I'd better stop....'screams in rage and frustration, pounds keyboard with fists'....HOW COULD THEY DO THAT?! I didn't think they'd kill EVERYONE! 'cries in disappointment'
6. I learned about the death of Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. These women were more than just international icons...they were human beings and despite all their fame, they suffered through terrible personal lives. I keep thinking of the scripture: What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Mark 8:36. There is no turning back now. I hope with all my heart that Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds accepted Jesus as their Savior before passing into eternity. It grieves to think that two more souls might have been lost forever.
7. Got to Beta-Read a book for the first time! There is something kind of relaxing about editing a story that isn’t yours and I am honored and thrilled to be helping my good friend, Victoria edit her book, London In the Dark.
8. Shared my book, 'The Reluctant Godfather' with my lovely friends, Victoria and Sarah Grace. It was the first time I have ever shared any of writing with someone outside of my immediate family members. I was nervous, but I was also incredibly blessed by their interest and encouragement. I am looking forward to sharing my writing with even more people in the new year!
9. And lots of other good stuff. I got a little writing done, mostly editing. I sang, recorded some songs, read lots of books. I worked, ate, slept, exercised (some), unloaded the dishwasher....but I digress.
So how was your December? I would leave to hear in the comments!